My Food and Travel Stories

While waiting for our ride back to Baguio

It’s a sunny afternoon in Naguillan La Union. We were waiting for a bus ride to Baguio City and the dispatcher told us that we will be waiting a little bit longer because most of the buses coming from La Union are already full. He even advised us to go for a jeepney ride instead (I was not completely  happy when I first heard of the idea but I eventually enjoyed it!).


While we were waiting, we sat down the benches with the corn vendors. There were more than five of them, all busy putting their products in separate plastic containers. The last jeepney ride was full of vendors like them too and from the looks of it, they looked like they are going to Baguio as well.

I was in a rush going back and I am sure Dani knew that as I always become so irritated when I rush. All these vendors who are seemingly waiting for the next jeepney ride made me very very worried. I got all hyped and I was really scheming in my head how we would be able to outwit the vendors to ensure we get a ride home.

But, things changed so quickly as the first bus came. All the vendors stood up and grab 5 to 10 pieces of their packed corns and ran to the windows of the bus. They were selling their products to the passengers. Each of them were able to sell a piece.

Soon after that, another bus came, followed by another and then two more. They weren’t planning to go anywhere else at all. There I was feeling sorry for myself for thinking that they were gonna occupy the whole jeepney.  So, instead of tiring myself with all the scheming. I decided to observe one of them.

I am never the best conversationalist, so I never get to ask questions or even start small talks. (Dani was always good at that part, which I am always thankful for everyday because he makes up for that shortcoming of mine.) So I just silently observed how they do business.

They pack the corn into sets of 5. They have sack full and if my estimation skills serves me right, I would say they have about 80 corn cobs inside. They remove bit of the corn husk so they wouldn’t be all to stuffy inside the small plastic bags. They even group the corns. My guess is that some of them are soft and others are a bit hard or the others have larger kernels while the others have smaller ones. They get two pieces per group and then throw in another from the un-grouped batch. After that they seal it with a knot and then pile them so they’re ready for selling. They did that in a span of 45 minutes.

That was how long we had to wait until the next jeepney ride arrived. We even waited for almost 20 minutes again before the jeep reached the number of passengers that the driver wanted.

But of course, I wasn’t all bored because Dani was around and he kept me company all through out. Plus I got to be on the sidelines to watch how these vendors strive to make a living on that bus stop.

Stay tune for more of my #adventurediarynipatatas and #kalyekwento. I think I have a couple of stories that I haven’t been able to write most of them over the past 5 years, so, let me have this chance to share all of those stories with you in the next posts.

How about you guys, do you have #kalyekwento you would like to share too? I’d love to hear about them to, so comment below, let me know!




Share Your Thoughts!